Model 01 Keyboard
A keyboard for uncompromising typists
The Model 01 is not like other keyboards. We mill the Model 01's enclosure from solid maple. We use gloriously tactile mechanical keyswitches similar to those found in classic Macs. We've custom-sculpted each of the 64 individual keycaps to gently guide your fingers to the right keys.
A key layout based on your fingers
It adjusts to fit your hands and your desk
- The most standard configuration of the Model 01 places the two halves of the keyboard flat on your desk. If you're not used to an ergonomic keyboard or plan to use the Model 01 on your lap, the flat configuration will feel most natural to you.
- The tented center bar angles the two halves of the Model 01 slightly up in the middle. If you've been typing on an ergonomic keyboard like the Microsoft Natural keyboard, the tented configuration willbe comfortable and familiar to you.
- You can position the two halves of the keyboard shoulder-width apart on your desk for a sublimely comfortable typing experience.
- Each half of the keyboard features a standard 1/4-20 camera tripod mount, perfect for building a custom keyboard stand.
Sculpted keycaps to guide your fingers
High-quality mechanical keyswitchesThe Model 01 features Quiet Click keyswitches designed in Canada by Edgar Matias. Starting from the design of the ALPS keyswitches used in some of Apple's most legendary keyboards from the last century, Matias reengineered them to slide more smoothly when pressed from just about any angle and to be quiet enough to use in a meeting. They're still satisfyingly tactile with a delightfully clicky feel when pressed.
The learning curve
Anybody who buys the Model 01 should know that there’s an adjustment period. Plan to work on it full time for about a week or two weeks before you get really used to the new layout. It's going to be a little slow and a little frustrating at first, but it’s worthwhile in the end for the long term benefits.
– Gina Trapani (@ginatrapani), Model 01 beta tester
Arduino makes customization easy
We've built the Model 01 around the same ATmega32U4 microcontroller that Arduino uses in the Arduino Leonardo. You can update your keyboard from the Arduino IDE. If you want to make your keyboard do something special, there are thousands of Arduino resources online to help you out
If that sort of thing isn't your cup of tea, don't worry about it. You don't need to know anything about electronics or embedded programming to use the Model 01. It's a keyboard. You can just take it out of the box, plug it in and start typing.
Source code and a screwdriver
You own the things you buy from us. You are 100% welcome to open your keyboard up, flash its firmware, reflash its bootloader, or solder weird connectors onto the circuit boards. Your Model 01 comes with a screwdriver, as well as access to firmware & bootloader source code.
- Dimensions: 230mm x 360mm x 25mm
- Weight: 1.3kg
- Keycaps: 64 black-painted, laser engraved keycaps
- Keyswitches: Matias Quiet Click ALPS-mount keyswitches
- Keyswitch lifetime: 50 million presses
- Rollover: True NKRO
- LEDs: APA 102C LEDs
- Microcontroller: Microchip ATmega32U4
- Interface: USB 2.0 over USB-C
- Compatibility: OS X, Linux, Windows, Android (Limited LED support with phones and tablets)
- Minimum power draw: 30 mA (no LEDs)
- Maximum power draw: 500 mA/1600mA (Software configurable)